Dr. Patrick Gilbert Pendrill CHARLES
Department of Infectious Diseases, Austin Health, Heidelberg, Australia
Education & Qualifications:
1995 Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Melbourne
2000 Passed the Fellowship examinations for the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
2003 Admitted as Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Scholarships and Awards:
2002 Pharmacia Infectious Diseases Advanced Trainee Award, Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases
2005 ASID Council Travelling Scholarship
2005 American Society of Medicine Travelling Scholarship
2004 - current Infectious Diseases Physician, Austin Health.
2006 - current Physician in General Internal Medicine, Austin Health
2004 - 2008 PhD student, Faculty of Medicine (Austin Health), University of Melbourne
2004 - current Clinical research into community-acquired pneumonia
2001 Clinical research into infections due to Staph. aureus with reduced vancomycin susceptibility
1. Charles PGP, Dowling JP, Fuller PJ: Characterization of renal Na-K-ATPase gene expression by in situ hybridization. Renal Physiol Biochem 1992; 15: 10-15.
2. Charles PGP, Leydon J, O’Grady KA, Speed BR. A case of Kunjin virus encephalitis in a traveller returning from the Northern Territory. Commun Dis Intell 2001; 25: 155-156.
3. Charles PGP, Angus PW, Sasadeusz JJ, Grayson ML. Managing healthcare workers following occupational exposure to hepatitis C virus. Med J Aust 2003; 179: 153-157.
4. Charles PGP. Infectious mononucleosis. Aust Fam Physician 2003; 32: 785-788.
5. Charles PGP, Ward PB, Johnson PDR, Howden BP, Grayson ML. Clinical features associated with bacteraemia due to heterogeneous vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus. Clin Infect Dis 2004; 38: 448-451.
6. Howden BP, Ward PB, Charles PGP, Korman T, Fuller A, Du Cros P, Roberts S, Grabsch E, Robson J, Read K, Bak N, Hurley J, Johnson PDR, Mayall B, Grayson ML. Treatment outcomes for serious infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus with reduced vancomycin susceptibility (SA-RVS). Clin Infect Dis 2004; 38: 521-528.
7. Essex RW, Charles PGP, Allen PJ. Clinical case notes. Three cases of post-traumatic endophthalmitis caused by unusual bacteria. Clin Experiment Opthalmol 2004; 32: 445-447.
8. Essex RW, Yi Q, Charles PGP, Allen PJ. Post-traumatic endophthalmitis: A Prospective Review. Ophthalmology 2004; 111: 2015-22.
9. Sheorey H, Charles PGP, Pyman J. A case of ectopic schistosomiasis in a returned traveler. J Trav Med 2004; 11: 251-2.
10. Charles PGP, Grayson ML. The dearth of new antibiotic development: why we should be worried and what we can do about it. Med J Aust 2004; 181: 549-53.
11. Howden BP, Ward PB, Johnson PDR, Charles PGP, Grayson ML. Low-level vancomycin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus - an Australian perspective. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2005; 24: 100-8.
12. Charles PGP, Johnson PDR. Treating community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Medicine Today 2005; 6: 14-23.
13. Bishop E, Melvani S, Howden BP, Charles PGP, Grayson ML. Good clinical outcomes but high rates of adverse reactions during linezolid therapy for serious infections: a proposed protocol for monitoring therapy in complex patients. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2006; 50: 1599-602.
14. Charles PGP, Johnson PDR, Grayson ML. Conundrums in community-acquired pneumonia. Med J Aust 2006; 185: 131-2.
15. Charles PGP, Grayson ML. Point-of-care tests for lower respiratory tract infections. Med J Aust 2007; 187: 36-9.
16. Ananda-Rajah M
See more of: Symposium