2252. Primary Care Providers Have Limited Knowledge About STI Screening And HIV PrEP in Men Who have Sex with Men
Session: Poster Abstract Session: HIV: Sexually Transmitted Infections
Saturday, October 7, 2017
Room: Poster Hall CD
Posters
  • IDSAposter2017.pdf (616.9 kB)
  • Background: Men who have sex with men (MSM) are at greater risk for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Several studies have demonstrated that HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for MSM can lower rates of HIV acquisition. However, PrEP may lead to risk compensation and higher rates of non-HIV STIs. We hypothesized that PCPs’ knowledge of CDC recommendations for STIs and PrEP in MSM would be low.

    Methods:  To assess knowledge of CDC STI screening and PrEP recommendations we emailed an anonymous questionnaire, to 314 primary care physicians and mid-level practitioners employed by Baystate Medical Center, a 716-bed academic medical center in Springfield, MA. Knowledge scores were calculated as the number of correct items, divided by the total number of items. One-way analysis of variance and Fisher’s exact test was used to test for knowledge differences between groups. P<0.05 was considered statistically significant.

    Results:  One hundred thirty of 314 invited clinicians opted in and 109 completed the survey (35% effective response rate). Most respondents (89%, n=97) were physicians, the remainder (n=12, 11%) were mid-level practitioners. Thirty-seven respondents (34%) reported having been trained in MSM-specific care. The mean ± SD knowledge score was 49% ± 29% (range: 0% to 100%). Knowledge was low whether respondents reported receiving previous training in MSM-specific care or not (knowledge score 49% if yes vs. 48% if no, p=0.87) or receiving specific STD screening education (knowledge score = 51% if yes vs. 41% if no, p=0.14). Seventy-two respondents (66%) reported providing care for MSM patients of which 29 (40%) reported having discussed PrEP with at least a few patients in the last year. Among the 29 who discussed PrEP at least once, 13 (45%) correctly answered the PrEP indication question compared to 8 (24%) of those who did not discuss PrEP.

    Conclusion: PCP knowledge of STI screening guidelines and PrEP indications for MSM is low, even among those PCPs who reported receiving MSM-specific training. In light of studies demonstrating PrEP can lead to lower HIV transmission rates among MSM while potentially increasing STI rates, efforts to educate clinicians on PrEP and STI screening should be a priority.

    Durane Walker, M.D, Infectious Disease, Baystate Medical Center/UMASS Medical School, Springfield, MA, Jennifer Friderici, M.S., Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA and Daniel Skiest, MD, FIDSA, Infectious Disease, Baystate Medical Center/Tufts University, Springfield, MA

    Disclosures:

    D. Walker, None

    J. Friderici, None

    D. Skiest, None

    Previous Abstract | Next Abstract >>

    Findings in the abstracts are embargoed until 12:01 a.m. PDT, Wednesday Oct. 4th with the exception of research findings presented at the IDWeek press conferences.